October

I haven't posted in a while, but I've still been knitting a lot and reading a little.  I might try weekly posts again, but I don't think I'll focus on a single book and project like I did before.  

I had thought I would like a more regimented approach, but it turns out I don't.  So I'll try for a more relaxed approach and see where that gets me. 


I have maybe given up on the Wallander books.  Maybe I'll try again later.  Maybe not.  But I have read the first two novels in the Maisy Dobbs series, and found them pretty engaging. 

I entered a pumpkin hat and a pair of socks in the state fair.  The hat won a third place ribbon and the socks won a first place ribbon!  And I didn't graft the toes!  I have tried to learn grafting stitches, but get impatient.  So I just do an extra round of decreases and then tie off the project like you do a hat.  It's worked out fine for dozens of socks and plenty of loved ones.  And now it's good enough for the 2021 Arkansas State Fair!


I don't know if anyone else entered socks.  But I'll take the wins where I can get them!


The projects I'm happiest about:

A sweater for my daughter that resembles the ones Molly Weasley makes in the Harry Potter books.  The sleeves are a little uneven and the duplicate stitch is decidedly off-kilter.  She's delighted, so I am too.


Here's a Halloween dishcloth that was a fun gift to give to a friend.

I knitted a shawl!  It's the Heartland Lace pattern by Evelyn A. Clark and I love it so much.  It's written for DK weight yarn, and I used some Silky Tweed that a friend passed on to me after a friend of hers had destashed to her.  I didn't check my gauge, though, and this turned out a little larger than the expected size.  I love it.  It's enormous on me and I want to wear it all the time while I emerge from the woods and say ominous things.

I have decided to make silly hats for my nephews and niece this Christmas, and I'm looking forward to making a unicorn hat for a very magical three-year as my first project.  I've been pulling knits out for the cooler weather and have been thinking about making more shawls and sweaters.  I keep meaning to read more nonfiction, and then I don't.  The mood for mittens hasn't hit me yet, but I know it will soon.  So there's a lot to look forward to.

Comments

Popular Posts